Monday, October 31, 2011

Imitation = Flattery...

Halloween: The one day a year when people can dress up and pretend to be something crazy and nobody will think twice about it.  The possibilities are endless, limited only by one's imagination!

Personally, I have never really gotten into the Halloween spirit.  I say it is because the day coincides with my Mother and Grandmother's birthday, but I cannot blame my lack of enthusiasm for the "holiday" purely on this.  I just do not really care for it.

Regardless, I do enjoy seeing others dress up, especially at work.  It is always the die hard Halloween enthusiasts which dress up and come to work, so the costumes are usually pretty good.  Today, there was one particular costume that I thought was absolutely great.

It appears that my wardrobe has caused me to be well known around my office.  Who knew that green or "barn door red" pants, sweater vests, blazers, neck ties, and driver's caps attract attention?  I guess the peacockin' around the office has indeed drawn attention to me - although, I must admit I would rather be known for my work ethic and ability to perform difficult tasks (after all, I do not think my wardrobe will get me a promotion).

Any way, one of my coworkers decided to come to the office in a "Bryan" costume, which consisted of purple pants, a sweater vest, and a drivers cap:


For the record - I do not own purple pants...Side Note: I did once purchase a pair of lounge pants which I believed to be blue while in the store, but ended up being purple when I got them home.  As a result, I will forever be known as "Plum Boy" by my brother-in-law, Rick.  Caveat Emptor (thank you, one semester of Law School) when shopping under fluorescent lighting in a bargain warehouse...

Back to the costumed coworker...At first I was not sure whether to be insulted, or flattered...What does it say about my wardrobe when it inspires a Halloween costume?  I began to rethink my life choices, but only for a split second.  I then realized how absolutely hilarious it was that a coworker actually thought about it enough and chose to dress up as me!  Imitation is the greatest form of flattery indeed.  

I will not be discourage by the imitation which occurred today.  I will not sacrifice my sense of style.  It is who I am, like it or not.  At the end of the day, I guess it feels pretty good to be inspirational to others!

Happy Birthday Mom and Grandma!


No comments:

Post a Comment