Monday, November 7, 2011

Vows...

As my upcoming nuptials are quickly approaching, I have been thinking a lot about vows.  Jennifer and I have discussed on multiple occasions whether or not we will write our own, or recite the traditional Christian vows...We have not yet decided either way.

Knowing that we could very well end up writing our own, I have been kicking around some ideas of what I could possibly write.  I must have typed and deleted a page of words at least ten times by now.

How does one put such love and commitment into words?  It is clear that Jennifer and I are in love.  It is clear that we both love each other.  We are both aware that there is a considerable difference between being in love and loving someone.

Photo Credit: Linnealiz Photography

We both are in this for the long run, no matter what comes our way.  We will never give up on our marriage, and the big "D" will not even be a word in the vocabulary of our relationship.

We are both aware that our marriage will require love, even when being in love is not easy.  Hard work, commitment, and a conscious decision to wake up every day and choose to love each other will be the cornerstone of our marriage.  All of this is a given as far as we are concerned.  We have discussed it, and we are on the same page.  But how am I supposed to convey this to her in front of God and all our family and friends?  Even if I can come up with the words to say, how am I to say them without turning into a sobbing mess?

At the end of the day, I know it will all work out.  If it comes down to it and we decide to write our own vows, I know that I will be inspired and will be able to eloquently state how much she means to me and how I will be devoted to her for the remainder of our lives.  I know that I will be able to commit to her and promise her my love, and that I will not take her for granted.  I am aware that God has blessed me with her as a gift, and it is up to me to care for and treasure her for the gift and blessing she is.  I will lead her and our family in life, and in Faith.

All of these promises, I have no problem making.  I just need to find a way to write and say them...As for the sobbing mess, I cannot make any guarantees.  I could very well lose it the minute I see her coming down the aisle.

No comments:

Post a Comment