Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Unfortunate Pastry Names

I was recently reminiscing of better days with a friend of mine who shall remain nameless.  We were discussing how great it was to have snack cakes when we were in our younger days and hadn’t a clue of the heart stopping characteristics of saturated fat and cholesterol: Swiss Cake Rolls, Moon Pies, Oatmeal Cream Pies, Twinkies, and the unfortunately named Ding Dong.

I often forget how immature I am until words like ding dong are used in a conversation.  While reminiscing with my friend, I said, “My Grandma used to keep a box of Twinkies in the freezer.  They are delicious when frozen!” to which he replied, “I love frozen Ding Dongs”.  As every respectable man is expected to do when such a phrase is uttered by a friend, I quickly replied with a sarcastic, “Yeah you do!” followed by immature chuckles.

It is interesting to me that common parlance can fall out of favor and become innuendo or slang so quickly.  I will not attempt to figure out how it happens, but rather, continue to laugh whenever words like "Ding Dong", or any sentence that can be followed by a perfectly timed “That’s what she said,” are used.

1 comment:

  1. My Great Aunt used to have an endless supply of ding dongs at her house which was right next the the red brick house on the farm growing up. My siblings and I would run down, grab a ding dong, and be in a joyful bliss the rest of the afternoon. Jennifer will be able to tell you about it as well. She loved her ding dongs... wait did I just say that?!?

    Anyway, Happy Birthday Bryan!

    ReplyDelete